When it comes to IT operations, there’s no question that it is crucial for organizations to increase their efficiency. In fact, with the expected increase in complexity, service levels and performance, greater operational efficiency becomes not just an option, but a competitive necessity. IT process automation tools can help your IT operations become more efficient, thereby improving your organization’s bottom line.
This blog post explores 7 important questions to consider when evaluating IT Process Automation tools to achieve greater operational efficiency.
1. What are the integration points? Before choosing your ITPA tool, you should first verify that it will have touch points and triggers that integrate with your data center systems, including different OS, legacy systems, Integration with help desk such as ServiceNow, monitoring and management systems, etc. The more integrated the better.
2. What should be expected in terms of deployment effort? Evaluate how much time and effort will be required for deployment (setup, configuration, implementation, etc.). You want to make sure that the timeframe proposed works with your organizational needs, and also set expectations so that everyone is on the same page throughout the process and there are no unexpected surprises.
3. What is the required skill set for this particular ITPA tool? Part of the implementation process involves training and adapting to the new system. Before moving forward, you should understand what the estimated learning curve will be for generating automated workflows independently. You’ll also want to determine ahead of time if any scripting will be required.
4. Does this product feature out-of-the-box functionality? Many IT process automation systems provide ‘pre-canned’ templates for various commonly performed tasks. If the system you are considering offers this, the next step is to determine whether these generic templates can easily be tailored to fit your unique business environment and processes.
5. What level of human intervention is available? Even the simplest automated processes will require some type of human decision at some point during the process. The question to ask is whether you will be able to embed decision-making logic into workflows for remote decisions on process execution. This allows management to maintain control over the process from start to finish.
6. What kind of scheduling functionality does it feature? While some automated processes will be triggered by system events, others, such as repetitive tasks, will need to be scheduled. You’ll want to make sure the ITPA tool you select provides for full scheduling capability.
7. Does it take into account regulatory compliance? Meeting regulatory compliance requirements is a critical part of every organization’s success. When evaluating an IT process automation tools, be sure to find out whether it can help you with these initiatives. For instance, does the tool provide tracking of events, reports and knowledge management that will help the organization comply with regulations?
These are the 7 most important things to consider when evaluating an ITPA tool for your organization. Additionally, it’s also good practice to select an ITPA vendor that offers some type of support package and other resources that can help ensure a smooth transition and the ongoing success of the system. By asking these key questions and understanding what to look for, you will have a much better chance of selecting an IT process automation system that will be a perfect fit for your business and ensure project success.