In response to growing user requests to add more flexibility to the Ayehu NG automation platform, Ayehu has released NG v1.5. This release will significantly expand the scope of what you can automate in your environment, all from a single pane of glass, and we think that makes it a real game changer in the IT orchestration and automation market.
If you’re an existing user of Ayehu NG, or even if you’re just thinking about trying us on for size, you probably know that one of the core strengths of our solution is how easy and quickly you can plug Ayehu into various ITSM platforms, cyber security tools, operating systems, messaging and notification tools, and increasingly chatbots and AI services. Almost all of these integrations can be activated seamlessly without writing a single line of code.
And the purpose of providing you with all these pre-built integrations and connectors that make up our ever-expanding ecosystem, is to simplify your ability to orchestrate automation across any platform in your environment. All from a single pane of glass!
So, here’s what’s really exciting about this new version of NG. We’ve added a “Do It Yourself” capability to allow you to build your own platform-specific activities without the need for Ayehu to do it for you.
From the feedback we’ve received, that’s really going to appeal to those of you who aren’t afraid to roll up your sleeves, do a little coding, and craft your own specific intelligent IT automation activities.
In fact, when you see how easy we’ve made it to build your own activities, we think some of you non-coders might even be tempted to take a crack at it yourself and perhaps fulfill some aspirations on your personal automation wish list.
Without further ado then, let’s dive into what’s new in our latest release of NG, v1.5:
- Activity Designer – This is the big one. It’s a new feature designed to give users the option to build their own activities, which marks the first time they’re not relying on us to build an activity. You already know we provide an Out-Of-The-Box library of more than 500 no-code, pre-built activities. With the Activity Designer though, customers can now independently develop or modify existing activities in Python, C# or .Net to extract further value through customization that meets specific needs.
- GitHub Community Repository – Ayehu now has a new community on GitHub that contains more than 100 of Ayehu’s workflow templates, as well as source code for built-in activities. Customers can use this in conjunction with the Activity Designer to create custom activities based on existing pre-built workflows. The GitHub Community Repository also provides free access to other peer-developed workflow templates and activities which have already been created and contributed to the community.
- Ayehu Academy Advanced Courses – We now have two new Ayehu Automation Academy courses – Activity Designer Essentials and Advanced Activity Designer. Together, these courses help train and certify developers in creating new activities using the Activity Designer. The Academy has already certified nearly 1,000 IT automation engineers since its inception earlier this year.
Let’s talk a bit more about the Activity Designer.
Typically, when building a workflow you simply drag and drop activities onto a canvas, and position them in the order you want them to execute. There’s no coding, scripting, or programming of any kind required. All you have to do is configure any particular activity by entering some parameters into a popup window, as shown in the image below:
With the new Activity Designer, you can build your own activities from scratch, in Python, C#, or .NET. We believe this will typically be for a system we haven’t integrated yet, perhaps some home-grown in-house application. But it can also be used to create new custom activities for an existing integration, like ServiceNow or SolarWinds. This is a big deal because now organizations will be able to take previously unintegrated systems and incorporate them into enterprise-wide orchestration and automation via Ayehu’s single pane of glass. The Activity Designer interface is shown in the image below:
Ayehu’s GitHub Community Repository marks an expansion of our presence on GitHub’s open-source community, and can be seen at this link: – https://github.com/Ayehu
At the repository, you’ll find:
- 100+ Ayehu workflow templates
- Source code for built-in activities
There are many benefits to our users from this new repository, including:
- Shorter time to value through reuse of existing, pre-built workflows
- Shorter time to value thru customization of open source activities
- Free access to peer-developed workflow templates and activities
Here’s an example. If we want to see what kinds of workflow templates are already available for Cisco devices, we can just click on the Cisco category, and drill down to all the workflow templates you can access that are Cisco-specific, as seen in the image below:
These new features are also accompanied by new advanced courses created for the Ayehu Academy, which can be found on our website ayehu.com under the Customers menu.
The two new Ayehu Automation Academy courses are:
- Activity Designer Essentials
- Advanced Activity Designer
Together, these courses help train and certify developers in creating new activities using the Activity Designer.
Ayehu recommends getting certified because your new knowledge will enhance 2 areas of interest:
- Your organization’s automation capabilities
- Your own personal professional standing.
Furthermore, as this market continues to grow, we anticipate new income opportunities will be created for Certified Activity Designers. The Academy has already certified about 1,000 IT automation engineers despite only opening earlier this year. That’s a reflection of the growing interest in automation, and if you’re one of those IT automation engineers, you’ve positioned yourself very nicely for the growth curve ahead.