With the growing use of cloud technology today, risk management is becoming an increasing priority among businesses across the globe. But simply employing incident management processes isn’t enough to truly keep an organization protected. Critical security events require real-time responses to mitigate risks and reduce costs. After all, catching an incident after the fact isn’t much better than not catching it at all. So what’s the best way for businesses to manage their security events in the most effective and efficient way possible? The answer is security automation.
When a critical incident occurs, time is of the utmost importance. Every moment that passes following a security event can cost your organization. With security automation, the very instance an incident occurs notification is immediately sent and appropriately escalated. This eliminates the risk of human errors and inaccuracies and saves time by replacing the need for manual escalation.
Automated responses to security events help to:
- Create standard security processes, reduce manual work and provide more consistent, reliable response actions
- Reduce workload – respond to weaknesses or policy violations with automated review and remediation through automated processes while preserving best security practices
- Reduce response times – integrate with both configuration assessments and event management to provide the fastest response to incidents with the maximum information available to your security administrators
- Security automation helps reduce the costs of securing systems and network while achieving compliance, enables more scalable, repeatable compliance programs and streamlines your organization’s compliance efforts
A few examples of automated Security Information and Event Management processes include:
- Automatic response to security events such as password resets or privilege changes
- Automated analysis processes using context for security events including assessment reports relevant to the event and remedies
- Rapid and targeted escalation of monitoring for privileged user activity associated with insider threats
Not all security automation products are created equal…
While automation is, indeed, a highly effective method to manage security event response for your business, it’s important to point out that not all security automation products and solutions on the market are created equal. It’s not enough to simply send out notifications or provide a list of incidents. To truly be effective, the program you choose must be feature-rich and comprehensive. Some of the critical features to look for include:
- Real-time status reports of all incidents across the organization
- Distribution of incidents by severity and priority
- Verified ownership assignment
- Immediate contact with incident owners
- Customizable escalation path
- Remote incident management capability
The more comprehensive the suite, the better your security incident management will be handled. This means a significant reduction in mean time to resolution (MTTR), which means improved performance and mitigated damages. In fact, with the right product you can reduce downtime by as much as 90% simply by automating incident management processes, providing sophisticated notifications and escalations procedures, and delivering full transparency of the entire incident management process to all IT operational staff and management.