For decades, businesses have been turning to Managed Service Providers (MSPs) to handle their day to day IT needs. This outsourcing was something that many smaller or mid-sized enterprises were forced to do, since housing IT internally wasn’t always an option. The good news is technological advances – in particular IT process automation – have now made it possible for these companies to actually manage IT operations in-house with the same efficiency and service levels as an MSP.
We’ve written several posts about how IT process automation can (and should) be leveraged by MSPs to save time and reduce costs. The reality is, this same concept can easily be applied to internal IT departments as well. For small to mid-sized businesses that previously relied on external MSPs to serve as their IT department, the reason was typically due to cost. It was simply more cost-effective to outsource the tech duties rather than to manage them in-house. But with the ability to accurately measure the value of internal IT, more and more small to medium sized businesses are recognizing the benefits of keeping things in-house.
The answer to the age-old question of how an internal IT group can match the efficiency of a managed service provider lies in the concept of automation. When you can begin to automate not only individual repetitive tasks, but entire workflows, suddenly the idea of running a busy IT operation doesn’t seem as overwhelming. You no longer face the need to hire more staff than you can afford, and those staff members that you do employee will have the ability to focus on critical things that require a human touch, such as analyzing and developing business strategies for future success.
Benefits of Using IT Process Automation to Keep IT In-House
While using an MSP is certainly not a bad option, there are a number of specific benefits that a business can realize by keeping IT in-house. These benefits include:
- More Control – Outsourcing always requires giving up a certain amount of control. Keeping IT operations internal gives the business full control over all processes and procedures.
- Flexibility – A quality IT process automation product provides flexibility and customization to each business’s unique pain points. That means that your internal IT can be designed specifically for the needs of your organization, unlike an MSP which can only adapt to a certain point.
- Higher Level of Security – It goes without saying that internal versus outsourced departments always provide a more secure atmosphere. IT operations for industries that deal with more sensitive information, such as the financial sector, benefit greatly from keeping all transactions in-house.
- Saves Time – Internal IT operations eliminate the need to contact and rely on a third party for any support requests, which can save time. The beauty of ITPA is that it is designed to make IT operations more efficient, so it is inherently a time saver. Couple this with the fact that ITPA lets computers do the heavy lifting, freeing up personnel to be available if and when an issue arises, and you’ve got a highly effective and efficient department with exceptional service levels.
- Saves Money – Keeping IT internal saves money over time, since you will no longer need to incur the costs of outsourcing to an MSP.
Think your business is too small or lacks the resources to manage IT operations internally? Think outsourcing to an MSP is your only option? Think again. With technological advances, namely the rise of IT process automation, now organizations of any size have the ability to achieve the same operational efficiency with their in-house IT as they would with an MSP.
Learn more about how IT process automation can provide your organization with flexibility, control and savings of both time and money by requesting a free product demo today!