Relying on email alerts for critical for notification and escalation can be risky. SMS is a much more effective tool for IT Managers.
As an IT Manager, you probably get hundreds of emails a day, not to mention those from your monitoring systems, which “flood” your mailbox all day, every day. With so many incoming communications, it can be challenging and time consuming to distinguish between what is and isn’t important. This creates the inevitable risk that the moment a real problem arises, you might very well miss it. For most organizations, this is simply not acceptable, but it’s par for the course with email notifications. So, what’s the solution? Simple: it’s time to consider changing the way you receive your alerts.
There is a great way of getting those important high priority alerts to your mobile, which both hastens the alert and escalation process, and allows you more flexibility to manage your busy day to day duties. Instead of relying on email, which can hinder your mobility throughout the day, you can instead receive SMS text messages directly to your mobile device. Doing so is simple and fast – you can be up and running in just moments!
When you connect your monitoring systems to SMS, you can effectively streamline your entire communication process, including:
- Setting up your alerting/monitoring system to send notification via SMS
- Escalating important alerts via SMS to business users and managers
- Using two-way SMS notification for receiving acknowledgements and allowing quick response
- Preparing pre-configured processes that will allow you to remediate incidents just by replying via your mobile device
As an example, the eyeShare IT Process Automation tool can easily be integrated with Solarwinds Orion to provide closed-loop network management and process automation at one single point. This allows you to automatically remediate network problems using remote execution tasks. Workflows can be triggered by alerts, and, upon successful process execution, events are sent back to close the loop and update the status.
With this advanced integration, you can:
- Automate all of your alert notifications and escalations to be sent via email, SMS and phone calls (all three, if desired)
- Open, update, and close tickets in service desk tools via automated workflow
- Reduce resolution time of network and system alerts
- Empower Level 1 and Level 2 operators to resolve more incidents, quickly and remotely
With technology changing and improving almost daily, it’s no surprise that some of the things we once relied so heavily on over the past several years are beginning to be replaced by newer, more efficient and effective tools. While email is still widely used, it can be a dangerous game of hide and seek when it comes to managing critical notices, particularly for IT Managers and NOC Managers. Two-way SMS messaging provides a much more efficient and timely way to receive important notifications and escalations. The time for change is now, and for many busy IT professionals, the way to go is SMS.