We frequently talk about process automation in the context of IT, and while it’s certainly highly effective for tech teams, the truth is, IT process automation can easily be applied across the entire enterprise. In fact, one area where organizations can save a ton of time, money and resources is in HR, or specifically for the workflow of employee onboarding. Let’s take a look at how automating these processes can add tremendous benefit to everyone involved.
Conventional Onboarding (Non-Automated)
Ask any HR representative (or manager for that matter) and they’ll be the first to tell you that onboarding a new employee is a huge hassle. In fact, it involves many different people and a lot of resources well beyond just HR. For just one new team member, the process typically involves the following steps when done manually:
- Organize orientation
- Scheduling welcome meeting and training for new employee
- Print company documents, such as forms to be signed as part of the new hire process
- Manually enter employee information into the computer system
- Set up systems ID and access for new employee
- Set up new hire in payroll system
- Pair new hires with appropriate personnel for mentoring/hands-on training
- Prepare electronic training modules for new employee
- Monitor process to ensure that all required documentation is received and training is completed as required
Not only is this incredibly tedious for everyone involved, but when onboarding is handled manually, there is also room for significant errors. For instance, HR could potentially misplace employee forms and have to start all over again.
Manual keying errors can also result in missing or incorrect information on file, which can be a problem down the road. Lastly, the delays and bottlenecks caused by these manual workflows can result in a negative new employee experience, which can impact morale, productivity and retention.
Automated Employee Onboarding
Now, let’s take a look at how the new hire onboarding process changes when IT process automation is introduced:
- Automation eliminates redundancy, improving efficiency and saving the company money.
- HR staff is freed up to spend time working with the new hires rather than on the logistics of getting them set up.
- With IT process automation, data about new hires can be gathered, organized and stored without the need for human intervention, saving time and eliminating errors.
- All necessary steps can be integrated together, including cross-departmental functions required to bring a new employee onboard.
- New hires enjoy a much more streamlined, efficient onboarding process, improving the experience.
- Thanks to automated processes, new employees are able to be up and running faster, which means they’ll be able to begin working and contributing sooner.
- The onboarding process becomes more uniform, ensuring that every new hire receives the same consistent experience.
- New employees feel empowered right from the start, thanks to tools like self-service automation.
Let’s face it. No matter how advanced and tech-centric we become as a society, onboarding will always be a necessary process. Leveraging tools like IT process automation, however, can make this process faster, more efficient, more accurate and an overall more positive experience for everyone involved.